Tuesday, June 14, 2011

a weekend car trend

I keep promising myself that when I eventually get my car back I will still take taxis and consider alternative transport. It seems ludicrous that I ever drove over to my brother's place which is just up over the road, and that anyone would ever want to go into town in their car, when parking is a nightmare and taxis are much more convenient. And the health and happiness benefits of walking to church or cycling to meetings in my neighbourhood are very understated - I know my neighbourhood so much better now and feel much more a part of Durban than ever before... I recognise friends and locals on the street!

More encouraging than my own revelation, was a conversation I had with the man at Vodacom in Gateway, who was sorting out my blackberry. He was saying that his friends and neighbours in KwaMashu know that he has a car but that he still takes a taxi to work during the week. He says that its so much cheaper and more convenient taking a taxi during the week! R20/day compared to R60/day (when you include parking), and the time difference is minimal. He loves his car on the weekends and "cruizes" all over but during the weekend he still takes taxis... There is hope for us all yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment