Monday, June 20, 2011

movin' anda shakin'

The Durban Ice-Rink is not what it used to be! There were red carpets and guest speakers. It has been revamped to house the new Olive Convention Centre, where I attended a Pre-COP17 meeting today hosted by the KZN Departnment of Evironmental Affairs. I stepped out of the venue after meeting some key delegates, said good bye to my boss and hopped on the People Mover for the first time.

During peak time it only cost me R4 and my ticket was valid for 1 hr, which means that you can catch the exchange busses at no addtional charge!

This trendy guy sitting next to me answered my question about the closest stop to City Hall where I needed to cross over to get to the Howard College taxi on Monty Naiker st (old Pine st). I was on the Kings Park to uShaka bus, and needed to exchange at Anton Lembede (old Smith st) to get on the bus heading towards market.

It was like being in London or New York, catching the regular city busses but I'M IN DURBAN! Next step to the first world (African style though) is bus route maps integrated with taxi ranks and routes... The trendy guy was from Bloemfontein, and he had also been to London. He said that it's taken him so much longer to work out our public transport system than when he was figuring out the underground... "Well", I said to him "watch this space!"

2 comments:

  1. I hope you weren't hitting on the 'trendy guy' from Bloem (I assume he was afrikaans too)
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you my boyfriend? sometimes you sound a bit like you are :) i wish i was in durbs so i could be roped into your exploits... :) love x

    ReplyDelete