Wednesday, June 29, 2011

quiet campus

By sheer coincidence, I travel the routes commonly known to local students...



On my way to work at Bioregional, I walk passed the Durban University of Technology (DUT) on the way to the Umhlanga Rocks rank which takes me to LaLucia. And on my way home, I take the Howard College taxi which takes students from town to the University of KwaZulu-Natal (UKZN), Howard College campus. It's July holidays and all students are very evidently on vacation because Steve Biko road in front of DUT is deserted. Not even the tables selling fruit are there to make a living. And the Howard College taxis are now sharing their route with the Glenmore taxis because passengers to UKZN are so few. The two routes are territory of the same association, so this is most economical for the taxi owners...

You have to admire the natural adaptability of the informal system - perfect market reaction to a reduction in demand!

No comments:

Post a Comment