Thursday, June 23, 2011

only in SA

I'm sure you couldn't ask a taxi (minibus) driver to turn around if you were in London... Well, in fact, I didn't even ask this taxi driver to turn around - he offered...

It was 12:30 - I had a meeting in town at 13:30 and was on route, only to get a phone call to say that it was canceled. Because it was off peak, the taxi wasn't full and we were trawling for passengers along the main roads. I immediately asked the driver if he could let me jump off where I could catch another taxi back to La Lucia. We were about 7 km for the stop where I got on, but he said, "No problem, I'll take you back." Wow, I was so surprised! And he never charged me more!

You can't accommodate that kind of kindness in a timetable or with a formal, regulated public transport system.

No comments:

Post a Comment