Tuesday, May 10, 2011

South Beach Taxis

Today I was running late.
I was running to Berea Centre where many taxis do a turn around loop to go back to town. It was late and taxis on the less busy routes become very few... I couldn't see any on Che Guevara Rd (old Moore Rd) so I kept going to Berea Centre and caught the first taxi heading down King Dinizulu Rd (old Berea Rd)... Bad move - I was the only passenger.. We trawled for people stopping at every busy intersection. The assistant would jump out and usher, whistle, and slap the sides of the taxi to attract attention and implore someone to jump in.

On the way home I didn't learn my lesson, I jumped into the nearest taxi: it was a South Beach Taxi.
They are famous for their one-of-a-kind hand signal and infamous for prowling the streets for passengers. Their route is well known (unless you're me of course): from South beach, through the CBD along Anton Lembede Rd (old Smith St), right at Julius Nyerere St, which takes you through Warwick Junction which everyone calls "the Market"... think of all the opportunities to stop to trawl for more passengers (it's a high turn over route, costing the passenger between only R2 and R4). Then left up Steve Biko Rd (old Mansfeild Rd) passed all the DUT students at Steve Biko campus, and left onto Botanic Gardens Rd, over the N3 to Berea Centre - heck that was long!


1 comment: