Monday, May 30, 2011

the blue collar bustle

In hindsight, I may say that it was a great opportunity to experience Durban, to flow through the heart of our city during rush hour, and to be part of the hum. But today, taking a taxi was as ordinary as a day's work.

No taxis go directly from Glennwood to the uMhlanga Rank (below DUT), in fact, they all go in the exact opposite direction. It makes perfect economic sense for them to do this because generally they're taking the working class to work and back home again. It has made me rethink the title of my blog. The adventures of this little mlungu should be rephrased to the "blue collar bustle".

Today the blue collar bustle took me 20 min to walk from my front door to the rank. Then a brief wait for the taxi to fill up and a direct ride to La Lucia - 30 min, and then another walk to my office - 15 min. And that's how we ordinary workers get to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment